Write General Checks feature is used to pay firm expenses or client/matter disbursements by writing checks. You can distribute a single check to multiple clients/matters and general ledger accounts. To print checks use the Print Checks feature.
You can also use this feature to enter items other than checks, such as electronic fund transfers and credit card transactions. To do so, select the appropriate payment type. If you select a payment type other than CHK (check) you can enter a reference number up to 20 digits or characters long, and the check numbering series for your bank will be unaffected.
- Click on Clients and Matters > select New Transaction > Write General cheques
- Select a general bank account.
- Select or enter the transaction date.
- Select or enter the payment type.
- If the payment type is CHK, enter the cheque number. If the last cheque number used is entered in Chart of Accounts, press enter to automatically enter a cheque number.
- Select or enter the Payee Name.
- Enter the total amount of the payment.
- Enter C if the cheque needs to be posted to client and G if the cheque needs to be posted to general ledger.
- Select or enter the client number (in case of C) or gl number (in case of G).
- Select or enter a disbursement code.
- Enter the description of the cheque.
- Enter the amount.
- The GST and PST will automatically be calculated based on the disbursement code selected.
- If you want to change the distribution, you can enter the amounts in the distribution fields for the payment.
- Click on Save.
- You can continue to repeat the above steps to enter multiple transactions if they are in the same month.
- When you are finished entering transaction, click Post and Close.
- The taxes are calculated based on the tax settings on the disbursement code used when entering transactions. Therefore, do not use a non-taxable code and manually add tax, and do not delete calculated tax amounts when using a taxable code. You should use the appropriate code for entering the amount of taxes.
- If payee is added in the list, the payee address will be displayed automatically. To add payee click on List > Payee Addresses.
- If you do not want to print cheques immediately after posting, uncheck the box of Open cheque after posting on the bottom left hand side of the screen. You can print cheques afterwards using File > Print > Cheques.
- If you want to order cheques from ESILAW, click on order cheques on the top right hand side of the screen and follow the steps.
- Transactions entered with a payment type other than CHK won’t appear in the list of checks to print.